The Journal of the Academy of Health Science Educators of the University of Utah (JAHSE) is an online open access platform, managed by the Eccles Health Sciences Library in which products of sufficient quality relating to health education scholarship and research can be “pre-printed” free of charge. All pre-printed content will be searchable and freely available to all via the web. Once pre-printed in the Journal, authors can choose to continue to improve their dissemination and submit it for publication in a traditional peer-reviewed journal. Once accepted, your pre-print will be replaced with a hyperlink to your work in the traditional journal.
JAHSE is a collaboration between the Academy of Health Sciences Educators and the Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library at the University of Utah .
Information for Authors
The goal of the JAHSE is to promote faculty skills needed for effective dissemination of educational scholarship. To support this goal, the JAHSE has an open acceptance policy which invites all types of disseminations of education scholarship (e.g. traditional reports of research, opinion pieces, descriptions of innovations, reviews of prior work, curriculum materials, assessments of knowledge, presentations, educational videos, etc.)
To be pre-printed, the dissemination must meet the Journal’s standard of quality as determined by the JAHSE editorial board.
- Be original work not previously published
- Contain content directly relevant to health sciences education and add to the field’s literature
- Be free from typographical and grammatical errors
- Conform to general publishing guidelines for the type of dissemination, as found in instructions for authors used by a journal in which the dissemination could be published
- If you know a journal in which you wish to publish, find the Guidelines for Authors from that title, and the AHSE mentor will assist you in meeting those guidelines.
Option 1: If you have work that is ready for consideration by the JAHSE Editorial Board, complete this form, and attach your work. If you are submitting a large file, please contact Sara Rose (email@example.com) for an alternative submission method.
Option 2: If you have an idea or an education innovation project that you haven’t prepared for dissemination and would like some assistance, the Academy of Health Science Educators would like to help. We offer a dissemination peer coaching process designed to help you, the author, prepare your dissemination so that it meet’s the Journal’s quality standards. Peer coaches are Fellows in the Academy of Health Science Educators with experience in dissemination of education scholarship. Unlike traditional blinded peer review, in this program you as the author and a coach work together in the process of improving your dissemination. To request a dissemination peer coach, please submit this form.
Information for Peer Coaches
You will be contacted by Rebecca Wilson or Sara Rose in the Academy of Health Science Educators when a request for dissemination peer coaching matches your areas of expertise. When you accept this role, we will provide the author’s contact information and any work submitted so that you can initiate contact with the author.
Your role in assisting authors includes:
- Help authors explore their long term interest in the dissemination of their scholarship and help them find appropriate publishing guidelines to use in preparing their dissemination in the JAHSE
- Coach authors, as needed, in using the guidelines to produce a dissemination which will meet the JAHSE acceptance standards.
- Encourage authors to complete and submit their first dissemination to JAHSE (dependent on their target journal’s rules regarding pre-prints) and then to an appropriate venue in their field, using feedback obtained from readers of the JAHSE version
Citing a paper or presentation posted in JAHSE:
AMA Style Symposium presentation:
Brownson, K. Staying Zen in the Lion’s Den: Maintaining an Educational Focus Amidst Stressors in Clinical Healthcare Practice. Ted Talk presented at: 7th Annual Academy of health Sciences Educators Symposium; September 15, 2020; Salt Lake City, UT. Accessed March 26, 2021. https://jahse.med.utah.edu/staying-zen/
AMA Style paper:
Richards B, Hobson WJ, Gordon RJ, Cabaniss DL. Improving Promotions With the Enhanced CV. JAHSE. 2021;2:https://jahse.med.utah.edu/improving-the-promotions-dossier-with-the-enhanced-cv/
APA Style Symposium presentation:
Brownson, K. (2020). Staying Zen in the Lion’s Den: Maintaining an Educational Focus Amidst Stressors in Clinical Healthcare Practice. Ted Talk presented at: 7th Annual Academy of health Sciences Educators Symposium, Salt Lake City. https://jahse.med.utah.edu/staying-zen/
APA Style paper:
Richards, B., Hobson, W.J., Gordon, R.J., & Cabaniss, D.L. (2021). Improving Promotions With the Enhanced CV. Journal of the Academy of Health Sciences Educators, 2, Retrieved March 26, 2021, from https://jahse.med.utah.edu/improving-the-promotions-dossier-with-the-enhanced-cv/